Dedicated Lawyer Based In The San Diego Area Assists With The Naturalization ProcessThe status of citizen of the United States is coveted throughout the world. The right to live freely here and help relatives to immigrate here as well is a cherished opportunity sought by many. At Law Office of Daniel S. Castaneda, I understand how fervently clients long to live the American dream. Drawing on substantial experience, I help lawful U.S. residents complete the requirements to become full citizens of the United States.
California Attorney Helps Establish Birthright CitizenshipThe U.S. Constitution sets the requirement that any person serving as President or Vice-President of the United States must be a “natural-born citizen,” but does not define the term. The 14th Amendment declares, “All persons born…in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens….” But is “born in the United States” the complete definition of “natural-born”? Not according to Title 8 U.S. Code § 1401, which lists several circumstances under which children born outside the United States are nevertheless considered citizens of the United States at birth:
- Anyone born outside the United States, both of whose parents are U.S. citizens, as long as one parent has lived in the United States
- Anyone born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the United States for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
- Anyone born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the United States for at least one year
- Anyone found in the United States under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
- Anyone born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a U.S. citizen who lived in the United States for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
- A person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the United States